Monday, July 22, 2013

How did we end up leading the mob?

This was not a question I expected to ask myself. Not that long ago, I wrote a post about my personal preference of employing small squad tactics during games. Yet, despite this preference, at the Humans vs. Zombies, at a few points of the game, I found myself along with my usual squad mates leading the vanguard of a giant group.

How the hell did this happen?

Instead of doing a play by play of the game (as it ran over 4 hours, thats way too many plays), I'll touch on something that didn't occur to me before when playing or writing about group dynamics. Simply put, I didn't think too much about who exactly these groups were made of. More specifically, who wasn't there was just as big of a factor as who was. As mentioned in the post on large groups, I talks about the guys who like leading a large group into battle. Two of the most prominent mob leaders, Skylar and David Madison, weren't at the game. In addition to this, there were other players who are good at managing crowds present, but a good majority of them turned zombie early on. So what ended up happening?

As we stood around talking about what we were going to do, other players started latching onto our group. After all, to an outsider we at least appeared to know what we were doing. So one hanger on became three, which became another whole squad of people following us. Then that squad started attracting hangers on , with these people eventually rallying others to join us.

So my group, normally no more then eight people usually, was now more then twenty strong. I uttered the title of this post as we were heading out on the second mission at the head of a large column. Though we were able to separate ourselves a few times from the big group (using tactics that will remain secret) but in he end we found ourselves leading the pack time and again.
Sure enough, we cant wait to see Dave and Skylar again! <

No comments:

Post a Comment