Thursday, July 4, 2013

Death becomes me

Pretty emo title I know, but perhaps a little emo is in order as yesterday I was assassinated. I was definitely a little bummed to bite the nerf bullet (dart?), but putting aside the fact that I'm out of the game, I'm actually pretty glad someone came by and took me out. Before I get to that, some backstory is in order.

This wasn't the only attack on me this week, but a player named Lauren picked up where her fallen comrade Sargun left off. With Sargun taken out, Lauren was the only player left on her team remaining in San Francisco, so I expected her to come by for me at some point. I mostly know Lauren from Jericho games, but at that I don't know her very well. That means I was blank on her playing style, favorite weapons and overall competence in the realm of Nerf. The last time I saw her, she had bright pink hair, so I figured I should at least notice her first above anything else.

So when she came for me yesterday at my job, I thought I had spotted her. However, this Lauren like person had black hair, a hat and sunglasses on. I grabbed at my Strongarm and waited for her to pass through the door.

Still unsure, I hesitated to shoot. In that one or two seconds of me trying to figure this person out, she lobbed a sock grenade at me and sent me to Nerf Valhalla. I was dead and Lauren was an incredibly happy young lady for drawing her first blood. My death gave me a new perspective on disguises instantly: previously, for some reason, I thought for a disguise to be effective, it has to conceal your identity almost totally. But not so. It merely has to make your rival second guess themselves for a couple of seconds, plenty of time to chuck a sock or shoot a dart.

On top of this, as I mentioned at the start of this post, I'm very happy to have someone come around and take me out. Lauren definitely took some time out for preparations, considered what weapons to use and planned a strategy. On top of that, she executed me without saying a word, simply walking up to me and doing the deed. I'm happy because that means there's another ultra nerd out there playing my games and at that having a great time. With another ultra in the mix, more crazy stuff will happen, thus triggering the ultra nerd instincts in others, resulting in a chain reaction of fun.

I'll still allow attacks at my job for the next Assassin game, somewhere down the line. I will also just shoot anyone who looks like someone from the game. It may create an awkward situation or two, but screw it, I'll live to tell the story. Good luck to all the players left in the game and happy 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment