Monday, July 29, 2013

A breakdown of Assassin: Team Challenge

Hey everyone!

Once again I'm back after a period of lag with the first post of the week. Last week saw the finale of A Friendly Game of Assassin: Team Challenge, of which I was the organizer, as well as a participant. This five week game saw a lot of action, with the team I was placed on, consisting of Beth, Arthur, Yoshi, his co-worker Nina and Ben from Jericho. But enough about who was on what team, who got killed and how?

Andrew:

I had talked to Andrew about Assassin about a week prior to the game starting and he told me that he planned on allowing attacks to occur in his house, something I had mentioned in a post before. In his mind, he felt that the only way someone was was to be able to get into his house is through the front door, with the help of his landlord.

Arthur, Beth and Ben had another plan.  On the first night of the game, the trio (I would have been the 4th wheel on this murder wagon had I not been out of the city) hopped a fence and found Andrew's back door. Arthur brought a lock pick set (!) and was able to jimmy the door open after a good deal of effort. Andrew wasn't home, so they hung around in his apartment for a few hours before leaving a poisoned item. Andrew didn't take the bait, thus a second trip was needed.

The following night, they returned to his house, once again picking the lock on the backdoor. Arthur walked into the apartment and spotted Andrew sitting on his couch. He took a shot, which missed and startled Andrew. Ben was right behind him though, taking Andrew out with a single shot from his pistol.

Sargun:

posted about this the day after it happened, but in short Sargun had shown an unusual interest in how I was getting home, to the point of saying that if I needed a lift home that I could call him up and he'd swing by. A very nice sentiment, but since we were playing Assassin I said no thanks. After hanging out in front of my apartment for an hour plus, Sargun almost killed me as I walked through my door. I armed myself and stood in the doorway, still safe while talking to him, giving Sargun the impression that I was going to my place to crash. About twenty seconds after he walked away from my apartment, I ran him down and killed him.

Me:

posted about this as well. Lauren came to my job in disguise and while I was about 95% sure it was her under the wig, the 5% was enough for me to hesitate and get a sock grenade chucked my way. I laughed and congratulated Lauren on a kill well done.

In life, I was connected to the decision  making process of my team, who kept me in the loop after I passed. But in death, I was filled in on the decision making process of the team who had just killed me as well. I found being able to talk shop and hear about the strategies of both teams just as, if not more enjoyable then going on the missions themselves. I've committed to the next game of Assassin, but following this I'll likely take a break from gameplay and just moderate a couple of games.

Casey & Trevor:

Casey was my team's target at the time of my death and was subject to no less then three assaults on his apartment complex, one of which I went on before I was killed. Originally the plan was to ambush him at a Magic night at a game shop in Berkeley. When he didn't show, we... "infiltrated" ...  his apartment complex. As Trevor is his roommate and was also playing Assassin, I knew that I could goad him out if he sensed I was in the area. Trevor lives for the Nerf kill and if one is potentially outside his proverbial doorstep, he'll at least come out and take a look. Casey will definitely come with him if he's home.

After "infiltrating" the complex and gaining access to the main courtyard area I sent Trevor a text saying that the gym facilities in his building were really nice. His first thought was "Oh, is Connor looking to buy a Condo here?" His second thought was "wait a minute...." He sent me a text back and I sent him a couple more texts describing pieces of the complex. Yoshi and I were able to get inside Trevor's building while Arthur and Beth waited outside. But Trevor spotted Yoshi as we crept past their door and met us in the stairwell of his building, with a brief shootout ensuing.

Another shooout occurred when Casey and Trevor came outside, but with both parties a little uncertain of the legality of the action, namely as Casey and Trevor believed they were in a safe zone. They said that they would waive future protection in the building and we went back to the status quo of before we hit the complex.

Casey met his end in the third attack on his place, as Beth and Arthur attempted to storm the apartment from the front and back doors. It didn't work and they had to fall back outside the building, with Casey and Trevor plotting their next movements. Casey decided to go outside and attempt a flanking move, but was cut down in the process by Arthur.

All of this happened in the very early hours of the morning, with the action stopping some time around 2am. Trevor, a student, very much needed his brain in the morning. But after the surge of Assassin adrenaline, he was unable to get much rest. With much important schoolwork to be done that week, Trevor decided that he didn't have time for work and Assassin, and committed Nerf suicide that night.

Eric & Beth:

Losing two players in one night is tough when your team is only four people. However, when one of your remaining players is dedicated to Nerf assassination as Lauren is, you're never truly out of the running. As stated, I was filled in on what her team was doing after she killed me and though I winced at her plan of killing Beth, a friend and constant teammate of mine, I still thought it was pretty cool.

For the plan to be possible, Eric had to pay the iron price (shout out to Balon Greyjoy) beforehand. If he followed Trevor's lead and leaped into the Nerf void, Lauren would be the sole remaining player on her team and thus the target of the other team. In this game of Assassin, players could defend themselves if attacked, but darts shot in defense would only count as kills if they came from the gun of the target. Lauren knew that Beth was attending an event in Union Square, so she told Eric to wait until maybe 30 minutes prior to Lauren attending to end his Nerf life.

Eric kept his end of the bargain and I informed my former team of his death and Lauren's targethood. Lauren went to the Macy's near Union Square and applied a fake beard with make up before finding Beth. She was able to pass in front of Beth a time or two before pulling out her weapon and taking Beth out.

Yoshi & Lauren:

Lauren had been hunting and obsessing over killing Yoshi since before she killed Beth. She had managed to get access to Yoshi's office and plant some poison items of his desk, yet Yoshi had none of it and disposed of the items with a pair of tongs. This prompted more cross dressing from Lauren and in a similar manly get up, she paid Yoshi a visit on the last day of the game.

In disguise, Lauren waited outside of Yoshi's job (though this wasn't the first time. Beth had pulled effective guard duty for Yoshi while she was alive, spotting Lauren in disguise in the same location). She spotted him leaving his job and started to tail him. She had a small pistol (Jolt or Triad?) and was almost close enough to touch her target, when Yoshi suddenly spun around with a Jolt in his hand. The two shot each other at pretty much the same time. This double death, the first in a game of Assassin I have run, meant her team had died out and our team was victorious.

In the end, the team format was so popular that, next Assassin game aside, future games will use it. However, this next one is going to be nuts: every player for themselves, with each player receiving the dossier of every active player at the start of the game. All players will be considered valid targets. I'm scheduling it to run 3 weeks, but I'd be surprised if it makes it 2.

Tomorrow, I'll be talking about the HvZ game I organized this past Saturday, as well as a reevaluation of feeling regarding melee weapons. At the game, I only brought my Warlock Axe and sock grenades and had one of my better HvZ games in some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment